History

Peters Township is located about 15 miles south of Pittsburgh in the northeastern corner of Washington County. The 19.5 square mile township with a rich sense of tradition is quickly changing from a rural, farm community to a suburban, upper-middle class neighborhood. That unique rural charm, an excellent school system, quality recreation programs & facilities, spacious wooded building lots, easy access to plenty of shopping and dining establishments, and low taxes are just a few of the reasons people have chosen to live in this remarkable community of Pittsburgh. Estimated population for 2012 is 22,262.

The land that is now Peters Township was part of the territory of the Indians of the Six nations when the first English settlers arrived. Shawnee, Delaware, Mingo and Iroquois were probably among the tribes that hunted and fished throughout the area. Peters Township was named after William “Indian” Peters. There is uncertainty as to whether Mr. Peters was an Indian or a white man who traded with the Indians of the area. Regardless, the Indian name has long been associated with Peters Township.

Peters Township was incorporated in 1781, as one of the 13 original townships of Washington County due to the result of the settlement of a border dispute between the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the Commonwealth of Virginia. Prior to 1781, the Peters Township area was part of Virginia. Over the years, portions of Peters Township were sectioned off to form other municipalities, eventually creating our present boundaries. Some of the first settlers were the Wright Brothers (James & Joshua), James Matthews, John Sweringer, Reverend David Phillips, Andrew Dunlevy, Daniel Townsend and Robert Bell.

Peters was initially a farming community, supplemented by farm-related enterprises such as sawmills, gristmills and stills. Many of the township’s farmers played major roles in the Whiskey Rebellion when the federal government levied a tax on whiskey they made from their grain. Later, coal became a major industry, resulting in the development of the town of Hackett. Peters Township remained a sparsely populated rural community until the 1950’s, when the population was 3,004. In 1976, the Township’s Home Rule Charter became effective. This altered the form of government from the prevalent Second Class Township Supervisor format to the present Council-Manager form.

The Township’s current Arrowhead logo was adopted with the new Home Rule Charter. It was designed by local artist, Robert Chamberlain, who used an arrowhead found in Peters Township as the pattern.